We might not look down at them as often as we should, but our feet take on a great amount of weight and pressure every day, which is not always good for them.
If you find yourself at home standing on hard floors for long periods of time, probably without wearing any slippers or socks, then most likely your feet already have calluses or corns, as increased pressure on your feet can thicken the skin, and while it’s losing hydration, it can create fissures or ‘cracks’ in your heels. Untreated cracked, dry skin could become inflamed and would be at an increased risk of developing infections.
If your feet and heels are dry, start peeling or cracking and they feel painful while walking or standing, then the best thing you can do is to take action right away.
Prevent & Treat:
- soak your feet in warm water for up to 15-20 minutes, preferably twice a week (you can add a foot soak or bath salt, which works as an antiseptic)
- exfoliate twice a week; use a pumice stone or a foot file to scrub off the dead skin off the heel and the sides of the feet
- use a gentle foot scrub lotion as part of your shower routine
- keep your heels moist; wear silicone heel sleeves to help lock in moisture and speed up the healing process
- apply moisturisers on a daily basis, always include your feet in your beauty routine
- Olive Oil – Use use use, repeat!
- try using specialised heel treatments and medicated lotions
- take regular breaks and avoid standing for long periods of time
- wear comfortable footwear
- protect your feet by wearing socks or slippers while at home
- ask for professional help (consult your GP)
You can always opt to go for regular pedicures and get a treatment plan to suit your needs and budget. Try the paraffin wax treatments as these will help the skin absorb all the vitamins and oils from the creams through warmth and leave you with incredibly smooth skin.
And let’s be honest… scrubbing your own feet and staying on top of them isn’t always comfortable or easy, so why not let someone else pamper them for you? You’ll benefit from the use of professional products in a relaxing environment and you don’t have to do any of the hard work.
The final result: you’ll get to admire a pair of clean, soft and healthy feet with zero the effort!
Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it everyday for the rest of your life.